Monday, November 3, 2014

Please, No Toys for Christmas

Let me paint you a picture of what happens to the average toy:

The child wears down Dad at the store. Mom comes home from a conference. It's a birthday or Christmas. The child acquires a new toy. The child is so in love with that toy. It is the best toy in the world. This moment is why adults buy toys for children. It makes them happy.

Within the next day or so, the toy finds itself among all the other toys.

Our "dining room" / playroom / office / place where we dry clothes. All those colored drawers on the bookshelf are filled with toys. Also notice the floor, table, and "kitchen."

It is put away, lost under a couch or in the car, forgotten. It is occasionally re-found and enjoyed, but mostly makes an appearance when the children play a fun game called put-ALL-the-toys-all-over-the-floor-and-pretend-they're-the-ocean.

In all seriousness, we have reached toy saturation. We got rid of piles and piles of toys in the yard sale before we moved and we still have too many. We have moved into a smaller house and do not have room for all of our stuff. (John and I have gotten rid of things, too, lest you think only the kids have sacrificed.) Also, we are trying to live a more minimalist lifestyle. We truly want to have fewer things. If we manage to save money by having less, we would like to spend it on doing things together instead.

That said, we would be happy just to see you at Christmas, in person or through the miracle of face-time. But if you feel so moved as to gift our little darlings with a holiday package there are some great ideas here and here.

I promise they'll still be really excited and I'll be less likely to break my foot on the wine-dark sea.

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed with your decision and I applaud you. Unfortunately for me, my kids don't understand delayed gratification yet, but I am totally going to steal that idea in a few years!

    ReplyDelete