Friday, February 12, 2016

A Swiftly Tilting Planet

Photo courtesy of one of those times Virginia had my phone.

I've had vertigo for about a week now. I haven't been diagnosed with a definite cause (although neurological problems were ruled out, so that's good). I also have some exercises to do that may help.

But, I'm kind of settling in to it. You can get used to anything, right?

The vertigo has made me strangely philosophical. It is one thing to say that you either can trust your senses or you can't. It is another to live with distrusting your senses all day long. Or rather, to value the input of some senses over others. If one is faulty, who is to say the others are really giving me the truth either? How do you choose? (I mean, I choose the senses that give me the appearance of functioning in the world, but, you know...)

Also, it started out very distracting, but I think it is starting to make me more focused. It's like white noise in my brain obscuring smaller distractions.

I'm usually constantly in motion, wiggling my feet, squirming in my chair. Not so much anymore. The false sensation of motion is enough, and I can sit much more still.

And in the spirit of reframing this as living mythically:

  • My zodiac sign is Cancer. A water sign. Maybe I'm just carrying the ocean with me for a little while. 
  • Perhaps this sense isn't malfunctioning, but carefully honed, and I'm feeling the spinning of the Earth as we travel through space. 
From brief Internet searches I realize that vertigo is a serious problem for some people, and I hope I don't offend by making light of it. This is just me and my experience. It has been/is strange. But I'm okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment