Friday, March 3, 2017

Love is a Room With Grapefruit

In our produce delivery box we got two grapefruits this week. Grapefruit is actually not my favorite fruit, but I figured I could find something to do with them, or someone else would eat them. 

This morning at breakfast, Virginia asked about the grapefruits. I really wanted her to choose a breakfast she would actually eat and did not want her to waste food. I asked, "Are you sure? Grapefruit is bitter." She said, "I eat grapefruit at school." I looked at the sticker on the grapefruit. It claimed to be a sweet variety. So I helped Virginia peel it. 

I asked her to taste it before I would agree to add any sugar. Sure enough she said, "Yeah, it's bitter. " I thoroughly coated the segments in powdered sugar. But still, Virginia proceeded to grimace and groan through breakfast while eating tiny bites of the now-incredibly-sticky grapefruit. 

After dropping the kids off at school I suddenly remembered the lime ice pop. 

During the summers when my sister and I were visiting our grandparents in Long Island, Grandma Kay would make ice pops, frozen juice, for us and our cousins for afternoon snack. We ate lunch around noon (sandwiches prepared lovingly by Grandma Kay) but were always hungry again by 2pm, which we called hungry-feed-my-mouth-time. (Very polite, we were.) 

The ice pops were usually made from orange juice or grape juice. We might have convinced Grandma to make ice tea pops once. After one of Grandma's shopping trips she realized that instead of buying the lemonade concentrate she usually got to add to her iced tea, she had grabbed a limeade. I told her that I love lime and asked if she would mix it up and use it to make a couple of ice pops. She did. 

The next day at hungry-feed-my-mouth-time I took a lime ice pop. My sister, and two of my three cousins took orange or grape. My youngest cousin, Evan, took the other lime. Grandma said, "Evan, I don't think you'll like that." Evan said, "I want lime." Grandma said, "Evan, if you take that ice pop, you can't have another one." Evan said, "I want this one." 

He licked it, made a face, and said, "Yuk!"

Grandma told him he had to eat the whole thing. So he just continued on like that. Lick. "Yuk!" Lick. "Yuk!" Lick. "Yuk!"  

At least we know it runs in the family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment