I have been seeing others with platforms take a stand and make a statement about dismantling white supremacy. And I feel at times, "what can I do?"
I have been thinking about it, and I have platforms. They may not seem like much compared to some others, but they are places where I have influence in the world and can try to make a difference.
My research. I research reality (true, personal, edgy) storytelling. This form of storytelling is especially well suited to sharing stories that make white people a little uncomfortable, in a way that we need to be. I can continue this research. Continue to advocate for reality storytelling. Explore how we can use the model of reality storytelling to encourage more brave conversations in other areas of life.
My classroom. I teach school librarians. I already address serving diverse populations but can do more to challenge assumptions and have brave conversations in our classes.
My kids. I have difficult conversations with them. I have in the past. We're having them now. We'll have more. Not just "be a decent person." But "you might have biases you don't even realize you have." "Listen to your friends who have different experiences from yours." "If you are told you are doing something offensive, learn from it and do better."
My self. No one wants to think that they are biased. You can't get rid of biases by ignoring them though (and certainly not by excusing them!). You have to confront them. So I try. I'm listening. I'm learning about myself. And I'm constantly trying to do better.
I don't know if sharing this is the right thing to do. I guess I hope that if there are others like me who wonder how they can help, perhaps you can look at your own life and see that you may have more platforms than you think.
If there are people who have the energy and inclination to help me do what I'm doing, I'll accept resources on using storytelling, teaching, talks with children to dismantle white supremacy.
I care. I'm trying. If I'm doing it wrong, and you want to tell me that, that's okay too. I'll learn. And I'll do better.
No comments:
Post a Comment