Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Ice Fishing

 


In the summer of 2019 when I started telling friends and family I was moving to Wisconsin, a surprising number of people brought up ice fishing as a fun Wisconsin thing to do. These interactions always left me wondering, "What, about me, has led you to believe I would enjoy ice fishing?"

I haven't fished at all since I was small enough to own a Snoopy fishing pole. As I recall, I spent most of that fishing trip playing with the lures, my pole wedged into some rocks while I ignored it. And the only fish I caught was so small, my dad left it on the hook as bait. 

I do have a philosophy of getting outside in pretty much any weather. In warm weather you may find me outside and stationary at the pool or beach. But in cold weather, I tend to move, which really helps with staying warm. I run and hike. I do not sit outside in the cold.

But now, the safest way to be around other people, in person, is outside. It's getting colder and darker, so a visit on the porch doesn't sound as inviting as it did a few weeks ago. I was bracing myself for a winter of limited face to face interactions with other humans. Then I remembered ice fishing. It suddenly looks more appealing. 

I'll get a line and you get a pole...


Image from TV show Letterkenny. https://www.tv-eh.com/2017/06/29/letterkenny-introduces-new-characters-in-season-3/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment