Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cyst Update

When I finally talked to my doctor again she said she had talked to that specialist (specialist in what?) and she was back to wanting to do laproscopic surgery, but with the specialist present. And if she saw anything troubling she would do a larger incision.

At this point I had already made an appointment to get a second opinion and, of course, I started second guessing myself. She was backing off the more invasive surgery. She had probably overreacted about the blood-test results but this specialist had set her straight, etc. But since I had the appointment I decided to go and see what another doctor would say.

This appointment was yesterday. Frist of all, I had had to obtain my records in order to do this and the office failed to include the record of the second ultrasound of my ovary, so they continue to let me down.

But beyond that, I was just so much happier with this doctor. She said she never would have done the blood test because it is not a good indicator of anything unless you are already known to have cancer (exactly what I read online). She still recommended surgery (which I kind of expected at this point) but she said she can do anything she would need to do laproscopically. Since my other doctor was so quick to jump to the more invasive surgery before, I have concerns that she may be trigger happy. I don't want to put John in the position of having to give her permission to make a bigger slice while I am under anesthesia.

This doctor also ordered another ultrasound (since the most recent one wasn't in my records) and the ultrasound tech was great! She was cheerful and funny (asked me if I had named my cyst). And after the ultrasound the doctor came in and looked at the images. Imagine that. She actually wanted to see what the cyst looked like instead of just relying on a write-up.

Long story short, I am changing doctors. I have many complaints about the office I am leaving. But I think the most important thing here is that I can go into surgery without wondering how big of a scar I'll see when I wake up.

It is still a stressful thing to deal with but at least I don't have to feel as stressed about my doctor.

PS Thanks to my SIL for the referral. ;)

1 comment: