Saturday, August 27, 2011

Planning a Homebirth

I am planning my second homebirth and unfortunately all the work I did the first time hasn't quite rolled over. See, with my first homebirth I had to find good homebirth midwives and then a medical practice that could provide backup. After much research I decided on Birthing Right and they recommended a medical practice that had homebirth friendly CNMs. So, eventually the whole plan was set.

I am planning on going with Birthing Right again for my homebirth care because they did a great job and Virginia's birth was perfect. However, the aforementioned CNMs no longer work for that medical practice and I have developed a relationship with another ob/gyn office.

I decided, with some trepidation, to go to my current ob/gyn's office and tell them I'm planning a homebirth to see what they would say. I mean, someone discovered these other few practices that are homebirth friendly. How do you find people who will work with you unless you ask?

Earlier this week I went to my appointment. Everything seemed okay. I was upfront about my homebirth plans and was told that the practice was unwilling to serve as backup, but they weren't ugly about it and didn't try to tell me I was endangering myself and/or baby or any nonsense like that. So decision made, I will call one of the CNMs I saw last time at her new practice.

BUT THEN. I got a call yesterday from a place called Maternal Fetal Specialists that does ultrasounds for high risk pregnancies saying they were supposed to schedule me for an ultrasound. I went into a panic. I called them back and found out that yes, my medical practice had told them to call me. I called my medical practice to say "WTF?" but of course you can't just get anyone helpful on the phone so I had to leave a "detailed message" at the nurse's station.

Hours later I finally got a call back from a nurse who I have probably never talked to before. She explained that ALL of this practice's subsequent ultrasounds are done by MFS. I explained to her that getting a call from them without any warning had made me very upset. She continued to say that's just what they do. I told her they really should warn their patients about this in the future and hung up.

I know that doctors see lots of patients in a day and childbirth is part of their job. But MY pregnancy and later MY labor is kind of a huge thing in MY life and I would like to see medical professionals who take one second to realize what their actions mean to ME.

I guess I should thank my former practice for making my decision to leave them that much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment