There were some scary things in the news recently about neti pots leading to infections with brain-eating amoebas. Sounds like science fiction, but apparently it is true.
I was pretty disappointed about this since I believe that my neti pot has:
kept me from getting sick as often
helped me get over colds faster
helped me not get sick from being overexposed to allergens
and - recently - helped me to be more comfortable during pregnancy, when my sinuses can get very dry
However, none of that compares to having your brain eaten away by a microscopic parasite, so what's a girl to do?
This amoeba lives in tap water and although it is safe to drink, it is not safe to snort up your nose. I hated the idea of buying distilled water just for neti pot use, but then I learned that boiled water is fine, even after it has cooled.
I purchased a large empty plastic jug. I've started boiling water by the kettle-ful and letting it cool. Then I store the water in the jug. I also purchased a ceramic neti pot to replace my plastic one. The water needs to be warmed now that I can't just get it warm out of the tap. I put the water and the salt into the neti pot first and then microwave it for about 25 seconds. I give it a good stir and I'm ready to go.
Yes, doing all this in the kitchen is not as convenient as in the bathroom and I've probably been using the neti pot a little less. But I've discovered one added bonus. The ceramic pot fits my nose better! I guess I have large nostrils - comes with having a large nose. The nostril I'm pouring into doesn't leak anymore!
Now my nose and my brain are happy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great idea about a kettle at a time! I have been boiling extra water when I make my tea in the morning and then letting it sit until my shower to cool off enough, but then it means I have been using it less frequently, too. This is a great idea! Where did you get your ceramic one?
ReplyDelete