Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pointing Down

Aunt 'Manda had the privilege of helping Virginia get dressed after we all went swimming recently. She noticed Virginia pushing at her private parts and instead of saying, "Hey, could you not do that in front of me." She asked, "What are you doing?" (Are we related or what?)
Virginia answered, "I'm trying to make it point down."
Virginia has seen me change Horatio's diaper a number of times and asks me about every detail of what I am doing. I have told her that I make sure his penis is pointing down before I close up the diaper, because otherwise he might pee out of the leg opening.
So, Virginia was trying to make her equipment point down as well. And Aunt 'Manda got to try to explain to her that hers already points down and can't really point anywhere else.
Aunt 'Manda will be an old pro by the time she has her own kids. Mine are making sure to expose her to the good, the bad, and the awkward of parenting!

Selfie taken by Virginia

What's kind of funny is that I've been ramping my practice of the "Naughty Bits" show (National Storytelling Network Fringe performance evening of August 2, preview performances on 6/11 and 7/8) and thinking about how comfortable kids are talking about bodies. I want my kids to stay that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment