I started attending cluster groups after Virginia was born and I really needed to be around other grownups. Then I got a job and I got nominated for the board...
Suddenly I have two kids and work full time but still serve on the board and attend multiple storytelling events around Atlanta each month. I give a few paid performances a year. And now I'm performing an hour long show as part of the National Storytelling Network Conference Fringe.
My name was drawn. Being in the Fringe is not merit-based. But it is still a great opportunity to prove my merit.
Last night I did a dress rehearsal of my show for the Fringe (entitled "Naughty Bits") at Famous Pub preceding Stories on the Square. I was overwhelmed by the response. John passed a hat and we did raise funds for advertising my show at the conference. I appreciate every person who donated. But what was even more touching to me was just the number of people who showed up. The room was packed with over 40 audience members - most of whom I had never met before. I have to admit I was a little terrified. They know what this show is about, right?
From one of these new friends I got the biggest storytelling compliment I have ever been given. (This was before the show, but he didn't take it back afterwards, so I'm assuming it still stands.) He said, "I travel to see Donald Davis, and Bill Harley, and Kevin Kling. And now I will travel to see Sarah Beth Nelson." I was speechless.
Thank you, Atlanta, for giving me so many opportunities to do what I love. I still have "too much" going on. (If I'm honest, more so than ever.) But every second I spend storytelling is so very worth it.
I'm doing one more Atlanta performance before "the real thing" at Manuel's on July 8 at 7pm. This show will be ticketed, again, to raise funds for advertising at the conference. Fringe performers have to generate their own audience.
My Fringe performance is on August 2 in Richmond, Virginia. I can't wait to take this show on the road!
Me, telling one Naughty Bit at the inaugural Story Jam in Dahlonega.

No comments:
Post a Comment