Since getting into the Zen Habits blog I've been avoiding goals, so that's out for me. I could come up with 30 habits I want to form in the next year (with the help of 52 Changes). And, maybe I will work on forming more healthy habits, but resolving to do so is also kind of like making it a goal...
One thing I have realized recently, though, is that there is one overarching habit I can work on that really uplifts all areas of my life: being happy in the moment.
The problem with goals (for me and for many people) is that I can feel bogged down about getting started, depressed about not having done enough to reach the goal, and tantalized by the promise of the goal not yet achieved.
But every moment is an opportunity for practicing the habit of being happy in the moment. It isn't hard to get started. It is one little thing I can always do right now. If I feel like I haven't been doing it enough - no need to feel depressed, just work on it right now. And there isn't some future reward I'm not yet enjoying. I can always enjoy being happy right now.
As someone said to me the day before my birthday, "You're actually turning 29? Like for the first time?"
People want to be this age over and over again. I should enjoy it while it lasts and then embrace 30 with a positive attitude!
Family picture taken by my sister-in-law during our recent trip to Philadelphia. What's not to love?

No comments:
Post a Comment