Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Not so Smart Phone

After going back through The Shallows by Nicholas Carr I have decided to dumb down my smart phone by removing most of the social networking apps - most significantly: Facebook.

I am mostly alright with my cyborg identity. When you use a tool (whether it is a hammer or the Internet) your brain starts to view it as an extension of your body. So, my computer, and the Internet, are part of me. But I do have concerns about losing my capacity for quiet contemplation. I'm a storyteller - that's how I come up with stories!

I am trying to meditate more, read more, spend more time outside - all things that exercise the quiet parts of my mind. But I ultimately decided I did not have the willpower to keep Facebook on my phone. When it is there, I check it. I think to myself, "I'll just see if I have any notifications...I'll just read the most recent post...I'll just read one more post..." and so on. I've known this is a minor addiction for a while and have had some success with less obsessive checking by not keeping my phone on me, but I frequently backslide. Carr reminded me that I need to take more effective action and short if getting rid of the smart phone entirely, this seemed like the way to go.

I kept Instagram because I don't use it much and it is handy to be able to share photos immediately. And I kept HootSuite so I can still update Twitter and Facebook from my phone. I know there is also a way to check both streams through HootSuite, but I'm not in the habit of using it, so it poses less temptation.

There are times I miss having a ready distraction on my phone, but I'm purposefully filling those times with reading (print books!) or sitting quietly. I try to embrace the stillness of these moments instead of feeling bored.

After all, I don't need to look for distractions, I have kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment