In the daily Krishnamurti meditations I have been reading, he talks about how understanding comes in a flash. You just see The Truth all at once - it isn't something you work towards over time. (He doesn't say it quite like this. I'm paraphrasing.)
I kind of understand what he is saying. I don't know if I have ever seen The Truth, but when I see the true version of things it is in a flash. Like when I'm looking up at the night sky and I see distant suns circled by their own worlds instead of just stars. Or when I look at myself in the mirror and see an ant in an anthill or bird in a nest (an animal in its natural habitat). These examples don't seem that great, but when I describe it or think about it later, it isn't quite the same as when I am really in the moment of understanding these truths.
It seems like Krishnamurti says that once you see The Truth you keep on seeing it. But when I see these little truths they quickly get away from me. It reminds me of the old Magic Eye pictures. They just looked like a bunch of dots, but if you looked at them the right way, there was a three-dimensional image hidden inside. There was a special trick to seeing them, but I taught myself to cross my eyes a certain way and just see the 3D picture without doing the trick. When I did it that way, the image usually went into the page instead of popping out, but I could tell what it was supposed to be.
But the point is, you can't see the Magic Eye picture all the time. Most of the time it is just dots. That's what seeing little truths is like for me. One minute I really understand some part of the universe in a profound and real way, but the next minute I'm back to brushing my teeth or driving or making dinner. The image pops out of focus again.
Maybe with The Truth it is different and it sticks with you. Or maybe we can't all be Krishnamurti. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment