My school closed early on Tuesday as the snow began to fall. I made the wise decision to get gas before getting on the interstate and proceeded to sit in traffic for three hours. Right before I left school a mom had dropped off lunches from a cancelled meeting. I grabbed a curry chicken salad, not really thinking I needed it. But I ended up eating it in the car when time for my afternoon snack rolled around. John picked up the kids before the day care closed a little early. They were all waiting for me when I got home.
School was cancelled again Wednesday and today (Thursday) and I've gotten the word it is cancelled tomorrow, too. A lot of the snow and ice has melted today, but may refreeze tonight. Also, some teachers and families have iced roads near them, and/or haven't retrieved their cars.
Tuesday night I had a google+ meeting with a storytelling buddy since our usual Atlanta storytelling events were cancelled.
Wednesday I bundled the kids like they were going on a sleigh ride and we walked to Grandmommy's house.
They also had a blanket across their laps once we got started. It is about a mile to Grandmommy's and there was plenty of snow and ice, so we took it slow. Once we got there I jogged on the treadmill while the kids played in the basement. Then we had lunch and played outside.
After a while we came home.
After breakfast this morning, I took the kids out in our backyard. I thought Virginia might like to drive in her little car, but the one-wheel drive couldn't cope with the conditions. Horatio ended up sitting in the stationary car since he still didn't want to walk in the snow.
Socrates came out briefly, but he wasn't a fan of getting wet paws.
Then Virginia figured out that the snow in the sun was sticky enough for snowballs. First we made a snowman.
Then Virginia asked to have a snowball fight. It was more like a snowball duel, because she insisted that we both form a ball, then face each other, and fire at the same time. Horatio loved watching this and we started throwing balls at the car and a nearby tree so he could watch them explode. This game was the biggest hit of the morning and cleared a lot of snow out of our yard!
Who knows what entertainment we will come up with for tomorrow.
I am so thankful that we are all together safe at home during what has been a very difficult time for so many. I'm glad that we have been able to enjoy each other and the snow.


No comments:
Post a Comment