Friday, April 10, 2015

Virginia speaks in rhetorical devices

Virginia and Horatio have a storyteller/librarian and lawyer for parents. Sometimes they speak...uniquely.

For instance, I've begun to notice that Virginia works rhetorical devices into her everyday speech.

The other day, when I was combing her hair, she said, "Momma, I'm not going to mention the knots over on the other side." Praeteritio! Bonus points because this was one of Cicero's favorites.



Then, at dinner this week she was talking about her day, when she commented that two things go together "like goblins and wolves." Metaphor! Analogy! And more bonus points for The Hobbit reference. (We just got to the part where the eagles help everyone escape.)

She and her brother also make extensive use of repetition. "Can I have bunny gummies? Can I have bunny gummies? Can I have bunny gummies?" It is not as poetic or persuasive, but it does have an emotional impact.

I better start thinking of good reasons now for why she can't borrow the car as soon as she turns 16. If I don't stay sharp, by then, she may be able to out-argue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment