Friday, April 30, 2010

Life as a Substitute

I know what you are thinking: "But SBN, you haven't subbed since last semester."

True, but some schools don't want to let me go.

Back in November I told the substitute coordinators at every school I subbed for that I would not be available beginning in December until further notice on account of I was having a baby.

One school called me early in December to sub and I called them back to kindly remind them I was having a baby any day and would let them know when I was available again. Virginia was born only two or three days later.

There is another school that has called me three or four times. Each time it is a different person and each time that person is surprised to hear I can't work. One man even suggested that I should have warned him I would be unavailable. I did. The school should really keep a record of these things.

A media specialist called me from that first school a couple of months ago. She just chatted with me about the baby and said she would love to have me sub for her again when I do come back. She called in the middle of the day and was very polite. I didn't mind her call at all.

What made me slightly unhappy was the call I got from that school at 6:30 this morning. 6:30 in the morning on a day you presumably want me to sub is not the appropriate time to call just in case I am working again, especially when you know that I have a small baby. That phone call woke everyone up.

What really baffles me about this is, does this sub coordinator think he is going to talk me in to subbing today by doing this? He knows I have a baby. What could I possibly do with her at the last second?

As always, it is nice to be wanted. I just wish that being wanted didn't mean being woken up unnecessarily.

Here's a picture of Virginia in her UEA shirt. The writing is backwards because John took the picture with the isight camera on his mac.



You will notice that Virginia is also doing her parrot impression (sitting on Daddy's shoulder). What you don't know is that she is squawking "Pieces of eight!"

No comments:

Post a Comment