Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Amazing Things My Students Said

I saw two third grade classes yesterday and students said amazing things to me in both of them.

In the first class there is a boy who sometimes struggles with being on task and also struggled a little with the group work we are doing the first day we started. I talked to him and his group about everyone contributing in their own way and things got better. The last time they visited the library he did a lot of book-finding for their research. I noticed that he really knew how to find books using the call number (something that continues to be difficult for many students), and I complimented him. Yesterday he told me, "Ever since you told me I was good at finding books, I've gotten even better. I just helped four people find their books!" Then he wandered off to finally look for his own books.

Then, in the second class, one little girl told me that library is her favorite thing and she loves the research project we are doing right now, and she loves checking out books. Then she gave me a hug.

I'm a new teacher and sometimes I wonder if I'm doing all the right things with my students. Yesterday, I knew I had done something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment