Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Communicating

Virginia is getting better at communicating her wishes. She says a few things like "hi," "nanana" (banana), "ball," "mama," "dada," and "nama" (for food).

She is also good at gestures. She waves, blows kisses, and plays peek-a-boo. Yesterday I put a hat on my head and when I took it off she patted her own head, urging me to put it back on. When I did, she smiled.

The most astonishing gesture, however, is something else. She will tap her chest twice and then point up. I have been interpreting this as a desire to be picked up. That is what it looks like and she seems to do it when it would make sense for her to want to be picked up, like when she is done eating. I thought this was baby sign language (which I don't know) and I thought perhaps she had learned it at day care.

I found out today that they do not teach baby sign language at her day care and they did not teach her that "sign." She made it up herself.

Is it just me or is Virginia frighteningly brilliant?

No comments:

Post a Comment