Thursday, November 11, 2010

Freedom of Speech Fail

I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

In case you were wondering what I think about this. (The first, and probably last, time you will see a link to Fox News on my blog.)

If this book offends you: don't read it. It really is as simple as that.

You have no right, however, to dictate what other people can and can not read.

I'm sure some people might wonder how, as a mother, I can defend this book. As a mother I want my daughter to grow up in a country that honors the free flow of information. I want her to be able to say whatever she wants to say and read whatever she wants to read. As a mother I plan to teach her how to be a responsible consumer of information. I plan to teach her how to look at all sides of an issue so she can determine for herself what is right and what is wrong. You see, the way to fight bad information isn't to make it disappear (you can never make it really disappear) it is to offer lots and lots of good information. She may read things from time to time that make me uncomfortable, but I will take comfort in knowing that there are other books out there that can counter any argument.

As far as I am aware, Amazon has given in and removed this book. And I want you to know that the people we have really hurt are ourselves. Enough is Enough thinks that this book will make people think child abuse is normal. What this book makes us all realize is that there are already people who think child abuse is normal. Isn't that something you want to know? Isn't that something you never want to forget? Facing these facts can make those of us who are disgusted by child abusers better able to combat child abuse. By sweeping this book under the rug we run the risk of becoming complacent, of thinking we won because we silenced one voice. We don't need to shut anyone up. We need to talk louder and talk smarter (not hard to do, did you check out this guy's spelling?) in this case, and in every other case, we dare to think isn't really about free speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment