As a librarian, I often have a swarm of children following me around saying "Mrs. Nelson! Mrs. Nelson!" even when they can see that I am helping another student. Helping each of my students is important to me but I generally have to do so one at a time. I've tried telling the students yelling out my name that I am helping someone else, I'll be with them in a minute. I've tried saying "I'll be right there" or "Head in that direction and I'll catch up." But often they just go back to following me around, calling my name, and demanding immediate, undivided attention.
I have found the magic phrase: "I hear you." Not uttered in an exasperated or sarcastic way like "Of course I hear you, you have said my name ten times at the top of your voice." But just a calm, "I hear you." You do have my attention and you will get the help you need.
It is simple and beautiful and it helps me remember that these children aren't really impatient. They just want to be heard.
Copyright Science Photo Library
High schoolers are just the same. I'll have to try that next time the students keep trying to call me over to ask for my help.
ReplyDelete