Saturday, October 22, 2011

Things She Says

Virginia talks a lot these days. She repeats almost everything we say, like she is trying it out. Figuring out how to say it, what it means, when you might say that. That kind of thing. With so much repeating, if there are things she doesn't repeat instantly I don't think about the fact that she might have learned them. But she has. In context.

For example, the other night I was helping Virginia take off her socks. She likes for me to get them over her heels so she can just yank them off. After we got them off together she exclaimed, "Nice work, Momma!" (This comment also makes me wonder if I am over praising, but at least she didn't tell me I was "smart.")

And then a couple of evenings ago John was going to hang out with her while I took a shower. He had already decided that they were not going to watch any TV, but Virginia instantly requested, "Watch Dorap?" (That's "Dora." I don't know why she pronounces it with a "p" on the end.) Instead of just telling her "no" and suggesting another activity, John decided to tease her.
"Do you want to watch my car show?"
"No. Watch Dorap."
"What about that cooking show that I like?"
"No. Only Dorap."

I think this comes from the fact that when we offer Virginia choices she often tries to come up with an unoffered third.
"Would you like milk or water?"
"Juice."
"Your choices are only milk or water."
So she is trying to turn that technique around on us.

Both of these comments have totally floored me because she didn't repeat them right after one of us said them. She understood them, saved them up, and said them at the right time. I am really loving being able to communicate with her!



Look at this girl getting ready to be a great (and probably bossy) big sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment