Friday, October 12, 2012

National Storytelling Festival 2012

Last weekend I went to the National Storytelling Festival for the first time! My school paid for my ticket and the hotel room, but John and the kids came with me.

We drove up last Thursday evening after work. Of course we were still packing up until the last minute and then had to get dinner, so we got a late start. Then, a couple of hours in, I got pulled over! I had never been pulled over before so I was kind of glad I wasn't alone. These kind of things easily upset me. The police officer claimed that I had swerved as I drove past him and asked if I was tired or had been drinking. I said no and he believed me without administering any kind of test and just wrote me a warning.

I saw him parked off the side of an on ramp when I passed him. My lane was extra wide there because of the merging ramp lane so I seriously doubt I swerved over a line (which is what I would consider swerving worthy of getting pulled over for). I think he pulled me over without a real good reason and just hoped he'd find something to nail me with. Lame!

We got to our hotel after midnight and all went right to sleep. In the morning we drove over to Jonesboro early to pick up my ticket and buy a ticket for John. Early in the day John and Virginia went to see Carmen Deedy (whom Virginia knows through her books) and then Virginia wanted to see Carmen whenever she was telling, which was really sweet. I spent a lot of time at the back of tents, standing, with Horatio in the Ergo. I got to hear Kevin Kling tell (what he said was) a new story about wanting to be a Fool. Was reminded of how much I like him and followed him around for much of the festival.




I participated in the Swappin' Ground that first day. Told the Space Camp story. I think it went over well, but not sure the experience of growing up in Georgia but not really being Southern resonated as well there as it does here.

We skipped the evening shows, came back to the hotel, took naps, then ate and went to bed. Next morning we got up and did it all over again - except this time in the rain! First thing in the morning we heard Bil Lepp (actually sitting near the front for once) and I laughed so hard I cried. Virginia got to get the new Library Dragon book signed by Carmen Deedy. By the time we left on Saturday I was chilled and enjoyed a warm bath with Virginia back at the hotel. Poor child hadn't had a real nap in two days and she started falling asleep in her food while John watched the Georgia game at the sports bar.

We went back in the rain Sunday morning for a few more stories, then drove home in the afternoon through Knoxville. For a while we were driving through mountains right into the sunset. It was a beautiful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment