Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Nicknames

I have noticed that when I spend lots of time with my kids (like over school holidays) I tend to come up with new nicknames for them. But then, when I'm working again, whatever nickname I'm on seems to stick. Virginia was "Babe-a-licious" for a while, but now she is mostly just Virginia. 

Unfortunately for Horatio, the nickname he got stuck with is "Buns." Why would I call my child "Buns?" Well, Virginia is a sweetie and Horatio is a honey. Honey-buns. Buns. 

I don't even think about how strange it might sound except when Virginia says, "Horatio is your Buns!"

He does have another nickname that is gaining ground, but probably won't stick since it is a veiled insult. (Hey, sometimes children are tiny maniacs and having a loving way to call them a name might just keep you sane.) He is a Pita Pocket. And "Pita" stands for "Pain in the... you know what." 

That would be, like, when he doesn't sleep. Or when he thrashes about violently while I'm trying to change his diaper. 

It's a good thing he's cute as a baby's bottom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment