John and I were recently trying to explain to Virginia that I had a different last name before I married Daddy: Mazzaferro. And Virginia is kind of a Mazzaferro, too, even though it isn't part of her name. She wasn't buying it. "No! I'm Virginia Elizabeth Nelson!"
I said, "Hey, Mazzaferro is a cool name. It is Italian and it means 'iron club' or 'iron bar.'"
Without missing a beat, Virginia said, "Iron bars will bend and bow!" She was not at all impressed.
My grandfather, from whom I got the name Mazzaferro acquired a plaque in his later years that gave the translation and history of the name. As my sister read through the plaque one day she said, "'Mazza' means 'club' and 'ferro' means iron. So, Mazzaferro is 'iron club.'"
My grandfather said, "You're just like this one!" Pointing to my grandmother. "It says 'mazza' means 'club.' So Mazzaferro is club iron!"
My sister and I, who both took Latin and think nothing of inverting words in a translation, just shook our heads and said, "Okay, Pop."
We have plans to one day open a dance club called Club Iron, though. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment