Friends and family who remember the time I was a (kind of) vegetarian for 4ish years and the time I stopped eating at Burger King because they cut down the rainforest (actually I still don't eat at Burger King, but I don't really eat any fast food anymore) know that I am predisposed to taking on eating habits that are inconvenient to those that like to dine with me.
You know you love me anyway. <3 p="">
After attending a talk at work about plant-based eating, I've been experimenting for the past few months with changing my diet. I am in no way doing this to lose weight. I am happy with my weight and could even stand to gain a few pounds (healthy pounds). But being healthy is different from being skinny and I would like to improve my overall health by eating better.
In eating more plant foods and fewer animal foods I have learned that I actually feel better if I don't eat red meat or dairy. I am not saying dairy is an "unhealthy" food. But for me it is, apparently, not great. I think this will probably the biggest inconvenience to people who dine with me, but it is hard to argue with my wanting to eat foods that help me feel my best, right?
Butter seems to actually be harder to avoid than cheese because it is added liberally to cooked veggies and is baked into many things. But buttery foods definitely make me feel gross compared to their non-buttery counterparts. So it is worth it, to me, to go to the trouble of not eating it. (And thank goodness for vegan chocolate. That I would have a hard time living without!)
What I do eat are meals that are based around fruits and vegetables (instead of meats and starches). Usually at least one meal a day is completely vegan. I eat mostly whole food (looks like it did when it came off the plant). Some fish. Some eggs (served as eggs - not as much in baked goods). A little poultry. I have started drinking coconut milk and I cook something with tofu maybe once a week.
I have been motivated to make longterm changes in my eating because I have seen immediate positive results. (And when I slip up the negative effects hit me pretty hard.) I almost never feel over-full - that gross, bloated feeling. I have more energy for longer periods of time. I don't crash when I get hungry - I just feel hungry. I've also started to really enjoy healthier foods. I don't feel deprived at all!
It is an ongoing process, but I do appreciate the patience of my friends and family with my eating eccentricities. ;)
3>
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment