Horatio doesn't talk as much as Virginia did when she was two, but he is starting to say some pretty cute things.
We went to the park recently and I was pushing him in the swing. He had a look like maybe he was done, so I asked if he wanted to get down. He said, "No."
Then I asked, "Are you going to keep swinging forever and ever?"
He smiled at me and said, "Eber, eber, eber."
One night last week I was putting the kids to bed by myself and we had had not the easiest night. Horatio would not stop crying. I finally told him, "If you are going to cry whether I'm here or not, I might as well not be here." And I left the room for a few minutes. I fed the cats, heard Horatio calming down, and went back into the room.
I lay down next to him. He settled in and snuggled me. But I've been working on not actually staying in the room until he falls asleep. So I said to him, "Okay. Now Momma needs to put on pjs, but I'll come back to check on you in a few minutes."
He asked, "Be back?" (First time I ever heard him say that. He's still working on multiple word sentences.)
I told him, "Yes. I'll be back."
When I came back, of course, he was sawing logs. I closed the door so if he woke up later, he would know that I did come back.
Horatio loves macaroni and cheese. He actually has an unfortunate love affair with cheese. Unfortunate because I've stopped eating dairy, so it is rarely in the house. My mother buys him baby gouda sometimes and he eats it almost as fast as the cat eats his food when we feed him a little bit late. Another favorite food is "bunnies." There are bunny grahams by Amy's. He makes them hop across the table into his mouth.
I made the kids Amy's instant mac and cheese on Friday night before John and I left the kids with Sugar for the evening. I told Horatio it was "bunny macaroni."
He said it back to me, "Bunny...roni."
Best thing ever.
The little prince has accepted that, as the youngest, he often needs help doing things. And he isn't usually shy about asking for help. But he has gotten particular recently about who helps him. It isn't always the same person, but lord help us if he doesn't get the person he wants.
For example, say I am making breakfast and lunches in the morning, and Horatio needs help peeling his banana a little further. Virginia or Daddy could easily do this for him. When he says "Momma do it!" and Momma doesn't do it, the banana simply can't be eaten. And he will cry emo tears about it.
Horatio pronounces "Virginia" as "Yaya," but it has become clear that he has also made up another name for her. It sounds like, "My," or "Mine." I like to think he means "My Virginia," but I'm not really sure.
He makes an effort now to repeat words we say and I know that he'll be talking up a storm soon. I'm not at all bothered that he is not as precocious as Virginia so far. He is my baby and I like his cute little boy talk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment