Thursday, May 1, 2014

Mine

I wrote recently about Horatio calling Virginia "Mine," but I have to elaborate.

Before my sister was born, my mother told me that she would be the best and most expensive gift that I would ever get. I've never forgotten that. My sister is my best friend. I share her with others grudgingly. And, as the saying goes, God help the mister who comes between me and my sister!

Of course, I was the oldest. She came to me as a baby and she was mine.

Horatio persistently calls Virginia, "Mine." He knows her name is Virginia. He can kind of say it. But to him, she is "Mine."

Horatio is the youngest. Virginia was already here before he existed. But I think the name is no accident. He truly views her as his. And it is adorable.

He loves to play with Virginia. He has a plastic Mickey Mouse toy and a plastic Minnie Mouse. They play with them together. Virginia was looking for Minnie the other night and I was a little worried about her calling it hers, because technically, both toys belong to Horatio. He found Minnie first, walked towards Virginia, and said, "Give Mine Mi' Mouse." He handed it to her.

And then there was when the kids ran to find me (in the bathroom, of course). Virginia said, "Momma, look at this!" Then she and Horatio hugged for me. Just for the cute.

When Virginia and I tried to leave for our date together a couple Fridays ago, Horatio wasn't sad that I was leaving. He was sad Virginia was leaving. He likes playing with her after school.

I have to admit that when I was expecting Horatio, part of me hoped we were having another girl. I understood girls and I wanted Virginia to have a sister like I did. I just knew they would be best friends.

After Horatio was born I tried to think if I knew any older sister-younger brother sibling combinations where the siblings were close. I had a female friend in high school who had a brother my sister's age. She and her brother were good friends. But, I'm pretty sure they were a united front against their parents.

Although Virginia and Horatio do sometimes tag team me, I am relieved that they are best friends... without viewing John and myself as a common enemy. And Horatio is sure that even though Virginia came first, she has always been here for him.

A couple of clowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment