Friday, January 14, 2011

My New Diet

It seems to me that you can find information out there supporting almost any diet. "Fat is bad, only eat stuff without it." "No, fat is good, sugar will kill you." "Actually vegan is the way to go."

One of the new dieting fads I have noticed recently is "primal," which sounds a lot like the "low carb" fads of recent years with a new, old name. From what I have gathered, in my little to no research, this diet involves eating a lot of meat because that's what cave men did.

Here's the thing: ancient man practiced endurance hunting. Sure, his diet may have consisted mainly of meat, but he had to follow it around for three days and wait for it to die of exhaustion before he got to eat it. Unless you are also endurance hunting your bacon, I doubt that is the only thing you should be eating.

In all fairness, I know that what is more at the root of these diets is the idea that eating a ton of grains isn't as good for you as everyone used to think. Well, that's probably true. Farming is also hard work. If you haven't grown the grain and harvested the grain and ground the grain, maybe you should give more of that bread to the little red hen.

What we all really need isn't a new fad diet. It's more exercise.

But since they are so popular I think I will start my own diet anyway: The Apollonian Diet.

Everything in moderation.

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I love the image of endurance hunting bacon, and your conclusion is right on.

    ReplyDelete