Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ball

Who knew a balance ball could be so useful?

I purchased my balance ball when I was pregnant with Virginia. My midwife was afraid the baby might turn "sunny side up" (facing front instead of back) and said sitting on a ball would help the baby to rotate the correct way. I put the ball in front of the desk in my room instead of a desk chair and left it there until after Virginia was born. Sitting on the ball also helped relieve some of the swelling I developed at the end of my pregnancy that got pretty uncomfortable if I sat on nearly any other surface.

During labor I spent some time sitting on the ball as well. I mostly labored in a birthing pool, but I needed somewhere else comfortable to be while the pool was filling up!

After Virginia was born I did actually do some of the exercises that came with the ball, and occasionally I still do. Laying on my back on a hard surface usually doesn't end well, so the ball turns out to be a much better way for me to do crunches.

And Virginia uses the ball, too! Her therapist showed me exercises Virginia can do sitting on the ball to help her torticollis. Holding her firmly I lean her over to one side so she uses the muscles on her other side to keep herself upright. We usually do this while watching Muppet videos on YouTube.

Now that Virginia is on the verge of walking, she has also gotten pretty good at holding onto the ball and standing. She loudly exclaims, "Ball!" as she approaches it. The ball doesn't stay still like so many of the other things she holds on to, but I think that helps develop her balance.

This may actually be the most well used thing I have ever purchased. Balance balls: good for momma's and babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment