Why am I writing a post that will so clearly involve TMI? I believe that I have a responsibility to be candid when it comes to women's issues. Because no woman should feel that she is the only one going through something when she isn't. Maybe some woman out there will benefit from what I am sharing.
When I was in college I was visiting a male friend's apartment one time when his room mate came down the stairs with several inches of a tape measure extended. "Hey," the room mate announced. "This is how long my penis is!"
I looked at my friend and quipped, "Oh yeah, my room mate and I measure vaginal depth all the time."
As it turns out, measuring and comparing vaginal depth might not be such a bad idea. Because my recent adventures in menstrual cup shopping lead me to believe that someone thinks all American women have deep vaginas.
When I decided to go with cloth diapers I started thinking I should go more green with my feminine products. I did a little research into my options (cloth pads, insertable sea sponges, etc) and thought a menstrual cup would be the thing for me. I purchased a Diva Cup from the same place I buy Virginia's diapers.
Then I waited and waited and waited to use it. Finally my cycles started up again shortly after Virginia's first birthday.
I was immediately frustrated by trying to use the Diva Cup. It simply didn't stay in well. I had to actively engage my muscles constantly to keep it from sinking down. I went to the website for help and was left with the understanding that I had one of two problems. Either I was inserting the cup wrong, or my vaginal muscles were too loose.
The website advises that this takes some practice and not to give up. I struggled my way through a second cycle using the Diva Cup as much as I was able, thinking that if the problem was muscle tone, trying to hold the cup in should help.
But by the end of that cycle I had a sneaking suspicion that my problems weren't my fault. I am pretty comfortable with my body and had tried to improve my insertion and placing techniques as far as I could, but there are only so many ways you can put one of these things in. Also, I of course have some insecurity that I could be loose after having given birth vaginally. But, lots of women do that and they can't all have better muscle tone than I do.
My suspicion was that the cup was too long. I could feel it no matter what I did. There simply was no where else for it to go.
So I started researching to see if I could find a shorter cup. Diva Cup offers two sizes. I had ordered the larger of the two, as they recommend if you have had a child. The smaller size isn't any shorter (57mm), just has a slightly smaller opening diameter.
The Keeper is about 50mm long and any other American menstrual cup I could find was in this length range.
Then I came across the name MeLuna, a German company. They offer cups in three sizes, not the usual two. And....wait for it.....
The three sizes are different lengths!
Large: 54mm
Medium: 45mm
Small: 40mm
I ordered a medium and crossed my fingers that it would pass customs, since the materials aren't FDA approved (don't tell). My package did arrive safely and I had to laugh when I opened it.
The cup I had asked for was in the package along with a free bonus cup. The extra one has a factory defect that doesn't effect its ability to function so they tossed it in my package. But, what was funny was that this extra cup is a large. I was just picturing these Germans putting my package together and saying, "Oh, this is going to America. Better give her a large just in case. Those American women have deep vaginas."
Long story short, this cup is not too long, and so far using it has been a much better experience.
In conclusion:
Not all women are built the same. And sometimes, when something doesn't work, it isn't your fault.
No comments:
Post a Comment