Sunday, September 18, 2011

Something Useful

This week was somewhat long and Friday was a long day even though I only had one class. We had chapel in the morning and then a book vendor came to show books to me and my colleague. I had to eat lunch an hour later than I usually do because of this visit (thank goodness the morning sickness has passed or that wouldn't have gone well). So once I was finally fed and feeling human again it was just about time for my class.

I taught the 4th graders more about the library catalog this week. They mostly use the interface that is geared at younger kids. Very easy to use, but few features. So I showed them how, with the regular interface, they could narrow their search by clicking on "fiction" or "non-fiction" or one of the subjects or authors that came up from their search or a lot of other things. I let them play with the catalog on their lap tops. Then I showed them a map of the library and wrote down which types of call numbers correspond with which sections. J 398.2 is non fiction. J Avi is fiction. E Friend is a picture book. Etc.

As they were leaving the classroom to check out books, several of the students in Friday's class thanked me. Like, very sincerely, thanked me for teaching them something they knew would be useful. I know it is not the most exciting topic, but I tried to make it interesting and I guess, with at least a few, I got through to them. It made my week.

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool! I went to the morning book club at Osborne Middle School last week to assist and represent the public library, and the whole time I had this feeling of HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL because of all those kids reading those books and getting together in book-reading solidarity. Yay for awesome media specialists like you!

    ReplyDelete