Anyway, on Thursday there were some ants in the library. I won't go into great detail because the school is very nice and I don't want to give the impression that there were ants because it is dirty or anything like that. These things just happen sometimes, especially when it is really hot outside and ants can't find water.
My fellow librarian put out some bait for the ants and when I returned to work yesterday they were gone (whew!). I spent the morning meeting other faculty and learning how to use the library cataloging and circulation software. In the afternoon I was in the office working on my own when the exterminator came.
We had put in a work order for someone to take care of the ants. I went out to talk to him. Told him where the ants had been and that our solution seemed to have worked. He sprayed a little bit for good measure, then wanted me to write the school address on the invoice and sign it.
I am not good at recalling things like addresses unless I make a point of remembering them. (I'm still shaky on our new home address.) I didn't know the school address. It wasn't written on anything that was lying around the circulation desk. He saw me looking around and said, "I'm stressin' you out, baby! I'm sorry."
"No, no. It's okay." I said. "I'm new, I just need to look up the address."
"You don't have any kids, do you?" He asked.
"Actually," I said, "I have an eight month old little girl"
"Oh, you a new mom. No wonder you stressed. You get away from the baby and someone come to work and stress you out."
"You're not stressing me out." I said. "I'm fine."
Then he asked. "You got some water around here?"
I looked around and frowned. "Umm."
"I'm stressin' you out again, baby. I'll go look in the office."
Here I am starting a new job, trying to exude confidence. I can teach classes. I can order books. I am awesome.
But the exterminator saw right through me.
No comments:
Post a Comment