Thursday, September 23, 2010

Overheard

The past two days have been especially good for funny gems from my students.

Yesterday I had a third grade class I was teaching about folktales. We had already spent one lesson on folk tales and fairy tales. Yesterday we were focusing on tall tales. I read them the story "Pecos Bill," asked them what exaggerations they heard, and then let them play add-on telephone. We had played telephone at the beginning of the last class to demonstrate how folktales change with retelling (but hopefully retain some of their original message). I thought playing again would be a fun way to end class, and letting them purposely add to or change the message could let them experiment with exaggeration. The young man who went first informed us that his phrase had been "bunnies like pie." Twenty children later it turned into "fart pie on a bucking bronco."

Today I had two fifth grade classes and a fourth grade class. During book check-out time for the first fifth grade class several gentlemen were standing around a computer, performing various searches and talking to each other. A cheerleading book showed up on the screen and one young man said, "My sister's a cheerleader."
Another young man said, "Oh, your sister's a cheerleader?"
The first young man answered, "She's too old for you, son."

2 comments:

  1. Haha. Oh fart pies. Hilarious.

    I remember my grade school librarian being no where near as fun. He used to yell at us for making noise and we could only take books out of certain sections each week. He also loved oreos. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add-on telephone is such a great game! Love "fart pie on a bucking bronco" as much as I love "purple monkey diswasher!"

    ReplyDelete