Very fitting, since I am a librarian and John is a lawyer. We think we may teach her to say "database" next.
But seriously, the fact that she has learned to say "book" isn't mystical at all. She plays with a book while having her diaper changed (thanks to the advice of Funky Mama Bird). Every time I change her diaper I hand her the book and say "book."
So now what has started happening is I hand her the book and she says "book!" She definitely knows the changing table book is a book, but she has commented on other books, too. So maybe she has understanding of the Aristotelian concept of book-ness.
Virginia also claps and occasionally holds her arms up over her head to indicate that she is "so big." It is very exciting to realize that she understands what we are saying to her and is able to respond.
That's a great first word!
ReplyDeleteThe downside of being so literary, at such a young age, is she'll consider herself a trilogy by age three.
I agree -- "book" is a great first word. She also has a treasury of words at her little fingertips in the book that she plays with during diaper changes!
ReplyDelete