Sunday, September 26, 2010

Some Weekends Are Like That, Even in Australia

Friday night, Virginia hit her head while we were visiting the Grandparents. Virginia hits her head a lot these days because she is pulling to stand on anything she can get her hand on. Frequently she doesn't cry at all. If she does I comfort her and she gets back on the horse. Friday night she was pretty upset, but like always, I calmed her down and she went back to playing.

I stepped out of the room to talk to my mom on the phone and the next thing I knew, John was calling for me urgently. Virginia had just coated him in vomit. I took her and cleaned her off while John cleaned himself off. I was kind of concerned, but everyone insisted that they had been dancing with Virginia and she had gotten too jiggled up. So we decided to assume that was why she had puked and take her home.

Only, at home she started puking some more, and fearing she had a head injury we took her to the ER. Four hours and one CT scan later, they sent us home saying it didn't look like she was damaged.

Virginia threw up a couple more times on Saturday morning, but she stopped vomiting after I gave her a bath and later she developed diarrhea so we felt confident that she had a stomach bug.

This morning Virginia still wasn't interested in solid food, but was doing great. Then I got sick. Really, really sick. It seemed like the more time passed, the more life was being drained out of me. I couldn't keep anything in my stomach and was getting dehydrated and weak. By the time John found a doctor for me to go to I could barely walk to the car.

The nurses insisted on checking all types of vitals before giving me something that would make me feel better. It was especially hard to find my blood pressure. I think I had low blood flow to my extremities because fingertips, toes, and lips were tinged blue. I wanted to scream, "Just make it better!"

They finally gave me an injection in the behind (that really hurt and made my hip cramp) and after waiting a certain amount of time had me shoot a grape flavored antispasmodic. I promptly threw it back up. They gave me the injection in the other hip, waited, then had me shoot the purple goo again. And I promptly threw it up.

After that they sent me home. I was sorely disappointed because I was still so shaky I could barely walk. But, the drugs seemed to finally kick in and I've been slowly getting my strength back since we have been home.

The worst part of this: I can't breastfeed Virginia while I'm on these medications. She is old enough that I think she'll be okay without milk for a few days and plenty of solid food and water. But she doesn't understand what is going on and it breaks my heart.

Nevertheless, this is the only time I have been so sick that I was afraid of what was going to happen to me. So, I am very grateful that these medications exist.

And now I need to see if my sore hips will let me drift off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment