Friday, December 9, 2011

Moving Forward

I feel like after my angsty post of yesterday I should share that I am trying to make the best of the time I have with Virginia. I am a Problem Solver and I know there is a way to do everything I need to do without crushing my child's soul.

The Mornings:
I was actually really stumped about this one. No matter how gently I talk to her and handle her in the morning, she doesn't want to get up. But she has to get up and get dressed and go to day care. Finally, Hubs and I decided he would help so that, if nothing else, her anger wouldn't all be directed at me. Somehow, she actually seems to be happier though (which, of course, is better than her just being mad at someone else). I'm not sure why it worked out this way, but I am glad that Hubs is on board with helping me resolve these issues and that his help is paying off.

Dinner:
The gates all needed to come down anyway because baby belly was making it hard for me to climb over them. This means Virginia now has access to the kitchen. There was one tense moment when she fished a cookie out of the trash can, but she hasn't gotten into anything that could kill her.
In addition to just letting her in the kitchen, I've decided to actively invite her to help me cook. This is complicated because our kitchen is very small and there is nowhere I can pull her up to the counter where she can't reach the stove, the sink, or something else hot or sharp (this is not an exaggeration). I have to watch her very closely and be creative about what she can do to help. But, she much prefers helping me cook to being stuck on the other side of the gate. It is something Momma and Virginia do together instead of a time Virginia has to entertain herself (or bemoan the fact that Momma won't let her watch Dora).

Laundry:
Virginia is actually a pretty good laundry helper when she is in a good mood. I hand her things to put in the dryer.

Nursing:
Nursing is maybe the only thing I can give her that no one else can. She is at a point now where I could wean her with almost no effort. And I have been tempted, since the pregnancy is currently giving me an aversion to nursing. But she still takes comfort in nursing once in a while and letting her hold on to that a little bit longer is the least I can do.

Exercise:
I don't have a great solution for this one yet. The yoga routine that I most benefit from while being pregnant is the one Virginia is least likely to want to "do with me." It is from a book, so I just play my own music and do my thing. She will start out sitting in my lap and breathing with me, but by the time we get to Cow and Cat she is being silly and running into my face or just spilling milk on the yoga mat.
I have a "Mommy and Me" for toddlers video that she likes pretty well, but it is not for pregnancy. And even when I modify or leave out exercises, it is becoming harder and harder for me to use this video.
Virginia likes going for walks and we do. Just no so much during the week, because it gets dark too early right now.
Sometimes I just try to get in a few squats and stretches while I'm playing with her. But, to be honest, I get the best exercise when Hubs agrees to watch Virginia for a little while. This means I have to rely on him and he doesn't always have the time to do this, but, like I said, we're still working on it.

Sleeping:
Virginia sleeps in a bed in her own room. One of us helps her get to sleep each night. Sometimes she sleeps the whole night in her room, sometimes she comes into our bed during the night. A month or two ago she went through a long stretch of nights where she stayed in her bed all night. Now she is back in our bed most nights. I am okay with this. I know that she can sleep in her own bed and when she doesn't there is a reason. Right now the reason could be that she is agitated about the same things I am agitated about. Or it could be that her two-year molars are coming in (I highly suspect this is happening, but it is hard to confirm). Whatever the reason, it will pass, and she will continue to progress towards sleeping more consistently through the night in her room again.

Showers/Baths:
This is actually a huge one for me. After Virginia was born I was in shock over never being alone. I mean, maybe it sounds obvious that new babies require a lot of attention and are kind of always attached to you, but vaguely being aware of this fact and actually living it are two very different things. When I could get in a shower after Hubs was home and have the bathroom to myself, soaking in that glorious warm water. That was my moment.
Even though Virginia is older now and I spend hours away from her at work, I still don't have much time to myself. I have spent months working on stories (for storytelling) in the shower (and at practically no other time).
Then, one night, Hubs was out and I needed to take a shower, so I asked Virginia to sit in the bouncy swing (that can hang in the doorway). She said "No. Shower with Momma." I had tried to take her in the shower a couple of times before with not good results, but this time I put her ducky tub in the bathtub with me, let her sit in that, and I just stood in the remaining space while showering. Even though the water that accumulated in her ducky tub didn't seem that warm to me, she was really happy.
We do this sometimes now and sometimes I also get in the bath with her. She really prefers it to bathing alone. She doesn't like to get out, and that is hard (especially if I am getting cold!), but I've been able to talk her through it and I think we end up ahead overall.
The thing is, I'm actually starting to not mind giving up my shower time. I don't know if I'm becoming more zen (one can always hope) or if I'm so distressed by having Virginia mad at me all the time that it is easier for me to do things that make her happy, or what. But, I'll take it. I really feel more at peace about having less "me" time.

I said it was hard being a working mom, but I'm thinking, not impossible. All of these things are a challenge, but they are helping and that is what really matters.

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard of the Learning Tower? We're getting one for Christmas to solve the same evening/dinner issue. A contained way for Drew to stay safe and "help out" while I cook instead of him screaming or hanging on my legs. (I tried a stool but he's fallen off and hit his head twice now... bad Mommy). http://www.littlepartners.com/ or http://www.amazon.com/GuideCraft-G97325-Kitchen-Helper/dp/B000SQNAQC

    ReplyDelete
  2. from observation it is clear the three Nelsons are enjoying every moment of Virginia's childhood - the glass is more than half full, it is overflowing!

    ReplyDelete