Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Getting Noticed

I went back to my new workplace last week to start getting oriented. While I was there, one of the librarians who hired me mentioned how my name is very similar to the name of a girl her son went to school with. She did a double take when looking at my application. This came up very naturally as we were discussing common and uncommon names.

But, it got me thinking. I was having a very tough time getting interviews. I wonder if her thinking I was someone else for a split second is what got me noticed. I wonder if that's what made them look at my application long enough to interview me.

From there it was all me. I am confident that I earned the job on my own merit. But it is eery to think I might have been noticed by pure chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment