Thursday, May 13, 2010

Haum

Haum is a mantra asking for freedom from suffering. I interpret it not as asking for unpleasant things not to happen, but for help not suffering from unpleasant things. I like the break down of Haum here.

Sweet Virginia got her four month vaccines today. She couldn't get them at her four month visit because we were still covered by Medicaid at the time and the version of the vaccines Medicaid pays for wasn't available. I would have paid out of pocket, but apparently doctors can get in trouble for allowing Medicaid patients to pay. (Yes this is all a little messed up.) Now that we have our own insurance everything is much easier, we are just off our vaccine schedule a bit.

She got an injection in each leg, and one of the syringes contained multiple vaccines. First shot went in. She didn't cry. Next shot (the worse one). Still no tears, until the nurse pushed on the sore spot to apply the band aid. Even then, Virginia cried out and whined a little, but stopped quickly.

Perhaps it was just a fluke of temperament that kept her from crying. Maybe I put her diaper on too tight and she couldn't feel her legs. Or maybe, just maybe, she has begun to learn not to suffer.

I wish for Virginia:
  • to embrace the whole of life
  • to be free from suffering

No comments:

Post a Comment