Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Summer Risotto


When we lived in Norwich one of my favorite new dishes was squash risotto. I liked it so much that I made my own version a few times this past winter. But I havent made it recently because it really seems like a winter dish.

Then I was reading Yoga Journal yesterday and an article about using fresh herbs mentioned summer risotto. I thought, "Why not?" I made my own recipe from things that seemed summery and delicious.

First I fried a purple onion and sun dried tomatoes in a pan. I put in various seasonings (alas, not fresh). Then I added risotto and chicken broth and continued adding water throughout until the risotto fluffed up nicely. At the end I threw in mashed avocado, sunflower seeds and shredded Italian cheeses.

I thought it turned out well. Starting the sun dried tomatoes so early gave the whole dish a tart and sweet taste. Risotto is for summer, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment