Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Crazy Limbs

Two nights ago Virginia woke up crying, so I un-swaddled her and put her in bed with me. She nursed for an hour, neither falling asleep nor showing any sign of stopping. This hour was totally unrestful for me because I spent it trying to prevent Virginia from grabbing my collar bone (it doesn't hurt, but it weirds me out). Finally I got up and turned off the ceiling fan, thinking it was making her too cold.

Immediately Virginia was happier. She stopped nursing and stopped grasping at me. But then she lay there on her back moving her arms and legs around and cooing. Cute, but impossible to sleep through. I re-swaddled her and she calmed down and went back to sleep (still in bed with me).

Needless to say, we were both kind of tired and cranky yesterday, but I had high hopes that after a good night of sleep we would be on track to a better tomorrow.

Then the crazy limbs struck again.

Virginia woke up minutes after I put her in the crib last night. I couldn't face a whole night with her in the bed, so I picked her up and held her until she went back to sleep, then put her in the crib. Once again, minutes after I put her down, she woke up. John was still awake so I asked him to hold her and give me a chance to get a little sleep.

He managed to put her back to sleep and even sneak her into the crib. I'm not sure how long she slept there, but she woke me up around 3am. I un-swaddled her (digression: Virginia sleeps better on her own of she is swaddled, so that is how she always goes to bed. If she is in bed with me she usually sleeps fine either way. I feel a little better having her arms free in the bed in case she needs them so I usually take her out of the swaddle.) and put her in bed with me. Even before she started nursing her hands were scratching me and her pointy little toes were jabbing into my stomach. Not exactly the restful night I had hoped for. I re-swaddled her, let her nurse for a seemingly endless amount of time, and finally we both went back to sleep.

In six short months she has already changed so much. She has rapidly gone through many difficult and charming phases. This is just a phase. It will be over soon. Then something else will happen, but I'll deal with that then.

No comments:

Post a Comment