Thursday, June 24, 2010

Diaper Time

Hey mommies who read this: help!

Diaper changing time is turning into an ordeal and it happens way too often for me to dread doing it.

The problem is that Virginia scratches the minute her diaper is off. This is a problem for multiple reasons.

  • I don't want to give her a complex about her privates (I pull her hand away and say "no") and maybe wouldn't be bothered except that...
  • She scratches. She is actually breaking skin.
  • When she has open wounds I can't put diaper cream everywhere since the bottle explicitly says, do not put on open wounds.
  • If I do manage to get diaper cream on any unwounded itchy parts I don't want her hands in it since it's kind of hard to wash her hands and her hands go in her mouth.
Solutions I have already tried that haven't worked:
  • Cutting her finger nails. I file them down as far as possible every week. They still do damage.
  • Giving her a toy to play with during changing time. Scratching is more interesting to her.
  • Preventing diaper rash (presumably this is why she is scratching, right?). I put diaper cream on when I can. I soak the diapers in vinegar and wash them on hot. I stopped drinking limeaid every day. I even bought reusable wipes and made my own solution (water and glycerin), which really seems to help. But you know what, she scratches even when her skin looks perfectly clear.
Short of putting a baby straight jacket on her every time I change her diaper I'm not sure what to do!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I feel for you. Gunnar has eczema and scratches at his butt during diaper changes, too. I found that he likes to look at/hold a picture book while I change him and that if I distract him by tickling his face with my hair every few minutes, he's too busy trying to protect his face from the tickles to try to scratch. Good luck! You can also try putting some aquaphor on her skin, instead of diaper cream - it won't hurt the broken spots and will still clear up the rash.

    ReplyDelete