Friday, June 25, 2010

Sock Monkey Triptych




At my baby shower last fall Papa Mike gave Baby Nelson a sock monkey.

My great grandmother (known to me as "Great Granny") used to make sock monkeys. At Christmas time Mike gave my grandmother (Great Granny's daughter) a sock monkey also. Grandma Mary took the sock monkey home and set him in a chair. Her cat Charlie decided that the sock monkey, dubbed "Henry," was his new best friend.

After learning what became of Grandma Mary's sock monkey I decided that Virginia's sock monkey should be Henry's girlfriend, and her name would be "Henrietta." Henrietta is a good friend to Virginia. She entertains Virginia during tummy time and shows her how to do the moves to "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" and "If You're Happy and You Know It."

A little after Christmas, Sugar said there was a present she and Papa Mike had forgotten to give Virginia. We opened it to discover a sock monkey in a box! I think the video makes it clear how Virginia feels about this friend:





Finally, I read a blog entry with some advice about safe co-sleeping (I wish I could link to it, but it's not a blog I read regularly and I can't remember how I got there) and got a great pajama tip. The blogger recommended wearing a long sleeved shirt that buttons down for easy side lying nursing that keeps your arms warm. On the occasions that I was bringing Virginia into bed my arms were getting cold outside the covers, so I thought this was a great idea. I went to Target to look for some long sleeved pajamas. As you might imagine, since it is summer, the selection was pretty slim. But then I found these:


That's right, sock monkey pajamas! Virginia's relationship with sock monkeys continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment