Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day Care

In the wake of my job-having delight I am having to face the reality of putting Virginia in day care. Today I got the good news that she does have a place to go. Good in that, that problem is solved. But as in so many areas of life I wish I could have it both ways (work and watch Virginia myself).

These are the things I tell myself to make myself believe I am not a bad person for letting her go to day care. Maybe they aren't true, but maybe they are.

  • I grew up believing I could be anything I wanted to be. I hope that by pursuing my career I am setting an example for Virginia that she too can be anything.
  • They say "it takes a village to raise a child." Well, maybe the day care teachers can be part of our village.
  • As inconvenient as it may be to pump, I am committed to breastfeeding Virginia for as long as she needs me to. In addition to helping her (and us) survive the day care germs, it will help us reconnect at the end of the day.
  • This isn't really full-time day care. I will have summers free.
  • They might actually give her more attention than I do.
  • They don't just watch the kids they teach them.
  • Virginia will get to socialize with other children.
I am learning that every once in a while you make a decision as a parent that you just have to hope isn't scarring your child for life.

So here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment