I thought I should look into these accreditation standards so I would know exactly what my diapering options were, and since the standards were pretty deeply buried in the jumble of information known as the "Internet." I thought I'd share what I found in case anyone out there also needs to find these standards for diaper information or anything else.
Virginia's day care is accredited by NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children). The first thing I found on their website that looked promising was an "overview" of their standards. It downloaded to my computer as a pdf. It is a list of ten points that spans three pages and is so general as to say almost nothing at all.
Searching further, I found another pdf, this one for TORCH (The Online Resource Center Headquarters). At first glance I didn't think this pdf would help me either since the standards aren't on it. Then I looked a little closer and discovered that the standards are in the TORCH database. The pdf tells you how to set up a free account so you can search the database (ID: naeyc, Password: naeyc).
After doing all that I finally found the standard regarding diapers. It does state that centers with NAEYC accreditation must use only disposable diapers. BUT if a child needs to wear cloth diapers for a medical reason the day care should cloth diaper that child. Although I was disappointed to learn that I will, in fact, have to purchase disposable diapers for Virginia to wear at day care, now I know I do have a recourse if she gets a terrible diaper rash from the disposable diapers. I will get her the most baby-friendly and earth-friendly diapers I can find. And I hope she doesn't get a bad rash. But if she does, you had better believe we will walk in with a doctor's note explaining that her discerning bottom requires cloth.
No comments:
Post a Comment