Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Little Bunny

"If you become a bird and fly away from me," said his mother, "I will be a tree that you come home to." - The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown

Now that Virginia is not having such a problem with reflux we have been able to do more baby-wearing that is comfortable for both of us. Some positions used to put too much pressure on her tummy and I was still new and learning how to attach her to me without dropping her on her head, so there were some challenges. But now she is a bird and I am the tree she comes home to.

Here is a little bit about our collection of baby-wearing devices.

I used this one the most when Virginia was first born. She never seemed to like being cocooned all in one section of fabric, so I had her sitting in there with her feet out pretty early on (she kicks anything her feet come into contact with). I got her to nap in the Moby for a while and nursed her in the Moby when she wanted to nurse non-stop for a couple of weeks. The Moby helped me gain my first bit of confidence to take Virginia out in public - to the library, to LLL meetings, to SOS meetings, etc.
As Virginia got bigger and squirmier, the versatility of the Moby allowed me to try some different positions, like a hip cary and facing out. Virginia loves facing out and especially loves having her little hands and feet in everything I am doing.

I got the Ergo at a baby shower. I ended up not using it until Virginia was big enough to sit in it without an insert. However, once she could ride in the Ergo it became a great thing to have.
I use it mostly when I am out of the house and will be wearing Virginia for a long time. It is very easy to nurse her in it since I can adjust the straps without taking her out. She sleeps in it really well, too, with the help of the hood that keeps her head from lolling all over the place. I used the Ergo when John and I took her to the Renaissance Festival and she was quite content. She fell asleep on my back just this weekend while I was playing bocce.

When John wanted to start wearing Virginia we got him his own carrier. He likes how easy it is to get Virginia in and out of the Bjorn and that she can face out (baby can't face out in the Ergo). This is not to mention that when she is riding with John and wearing her sun hat she is heart-breakingly cute.





When I was still using the Moby all the time I went to Babies R Us to look for something I could use when the Moby was in the wash. Virginia usually spit up on the Moby every time she was in it so I had to wash it sometimes. I came home with the Peanut Shell. Virginia didn't seem to like it, so it sat on the bed in my office where Socrates sat on it and covered it with cat fur.
I thought about selling it and washed it and ended up giving it another try. Right now the Peanut Shell is what we use around the house the most - for quick trips downstairs or out to the mail box. Virginia likes riding on my hip and the PS is great for holding her right there for me. We even used it in the grocery store a couple of times, although it is not as friendly on my back as carriers that go over both shoulders.

Once Virginia wanted to be carried facing out all the time I decided to get a mei tai. I found one on ebay and it has worked out great. She faces out in the mei tai when I am wearing her around the house for a longer amount of time. We have also started experimenting with back carrying (I do it sitting in the middle of the bed). This is great if I am cooking or cutting John's hair.

Water Sling:
I also got a water ring sling on ebay. It is made of mesh and doesn't retain water. We have used it for wading in the pool and even tried it in the shower.

I never thought I'd end up with so many baby carriers, but each has its purpose. I've been very glad to have so many ways to keep Virginia close to me and to involve her in my daily activities.

2 comments:

  1. I have a huge babywearing stash as well. It's sort of amusing to see how you go move from one to the next as the baby grows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I favored the Bjorn over the wraps, too. Maybe it's a guy thing.

    ReplyDelete